Thursday, November 27, 2014

Random recipe: Tofu mayonnaise

You know what gets me about fancy houses in interiors magazines? They never, ever, have anything stuck to their fridges. Oh, sure, there might be some artful magnetic chalkboard,  or a designer decal, but there are never any library book notices, or 'art' or torn-out recipes. They are neat, tidy - and soulless.

By contrast, the outside of my fridge is extremely busy (and a direct reflection of the chaos inside). Magnetic newspaper headlines, school notices, drawings, business cards for builders and a motley collection of recipes ripped from newspapers or magazines. I was just about to add another one to the pile last week when I remembered this month's Random Recipes, which celebrates those torn-out clippings. So instead of consigning the recipe to the fridge door, where it would probably be lost forever, I made it that night instead. I should really do this more often.

Easy Vegan Tofu Mayo Recipe

Tofu Mayonnaise
I knew Aaron Brunet would win Masterchef in 2013 - right from the start he had that look about him. This mayonnaise recipe was from a recent newspaper column he wrote about the pleasures of eating with your hands - in which he endorsed plate-licking. Now, I had a flatmate once who licked her plate after eating and I don't ever want to see that again, but his recipes are definitely finger-lickin' good. Aaron uses this mayo in a chicken caesar-ish wrap - I used in our Friday night fishburgers and to lie beneath some hot smoked salmon on crackers. I've now lost the clipping somewhere, but this is the recipe from memory (ish). It's dead easy, good for you and adding some fresh herbs gets rid of any tofu flavour. You should try it.

300g block silken tofu
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp Kikkoman soy sauce
salt and pepper
½ tsp pepper
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
Fresh herbs - finely chopped parsley, chives, basil (optional)

Put all ingredients, except the herbs, in a blender and blitz until smooth (I use a stick blender and a jar). Taste for seasoning and sharpness - add more salt or lemon juice as desired. If you're planning to use it all immediately, add the herbs and blitz again. Otherwise, this keeps in the fridge for a week.

7 comments:

  1. Well that looks like an excellent mayo - I really want to find a good vegan mayo so will be trying this one.

    And I second your views on fridges - mine is very busy too - and it is also full of fridge magnets we have bought on travels so there are so many memories on the door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. utterly utterly random... it actually looks a lot better than it sounds... my fridge is a whole mess of magnets and messages... and actually neatly leads on to the theme for December's random recipes but i'll leave that for December. Thanks so much for the random entry x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha- I always wonder if these fancy homes have a 'proper' kitchen hidden away, full of all the cr*p and everyday mess that every other, normal family kitchen holds... including fridge 'art'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been playing round with a few alternative and healthy mayo recipes lately but this is a new one one me. I can't pretend to be a huge fan of tofu but I'm definitely willing to give this a go so I'm pleased that you randomly dug it up. There are a number of things stuck on the outside of my fridge but most of them seem to be last week's food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome pick for random recipes. I used to put all my clippings on the fridge but there are too many so now they go in a drawer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unlike most here, I've grown up with tofu so actually do like the things and don't just eat them because I'm on a health kick. Favourite way to eat them is simply cold silken with a drizzle of soy and sesame oil. So yes I think i could take this. Definitely can't wait to try this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shu - I quite like tofu too, but we are in the minority (at least among the people I hang out with most often). In Fuschia Dunlop's Chinese Food at home book (the proper name escapes me right now), she does an amazing thing with silken tofu, slices of avocado and a drizzle of soy. It's the most luxurious thing to eat, I think every tofu-hater should be made to try it.

      Delete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...