Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Good Things: September 2014

Yesterday, someone asked me 'how do you fit everything in and still maintain your blog?' I realised, with a sinking feeling, that she obviously hadn't been reading along lately. 

The Kitchenmaid has been sadly neglected this month while I have been attending to lots of other things - including a super-secret special project that I haven't been able to talk about. 

Secret Photo Shoot
What is this man doing with a bunch of asparagus, a big camera and a white umbrella? All will be revealed, soon...
Quite aside from the secret project, I have been spending a lot of time in the kitchen (having six different sets of houseguests in 24 days will do that to a person). And I've been eating a lot of asparagus, a sign that spring is truly here.

Fresh Asparagus Photo

And I've been reading this heartbreaking food memoir by Wellington writer and food blogger Anne Else. 

Food Memoir The Colour Of Food By Anne Else

The Colour Of Food is an eloquent look back at Anne's life through food - brace yourself for the last chapters, in which she writes movingly about adjusting to living - and eating - without her beloved partner, Harvey McQueen. It was first published as an e-book last year but did so well that it's now in print form. It might seem a bit early to get your Christmas stocking list sorted, but you'd do well to add this to it.

What have you been up to this month?

5 comments:

  1. are you writing a book? Go on, tell us!... I know what you mean about blog neglect, life has a habit of getting in the way but I think it's been very quiet on the blogging front all over the place for the last few months anyway... it is nice to hear from you so don't neglect us too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good column today in the Life supplement! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. am intrigued by your project - have just completed a very busy blogging month and really looking forward to a bit less blogging - so I can understand why you might slow down - just hope you are enjoying your other projects and don't make a stranger of yourself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We live in Anne and Harvey's house. I'm reading her book at the moment. The garden is still much as they left it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can't tell us you have a secret! That makes it worse.

    I have incredible guilt when I don't blog. No one is harder on me than myself. Sometimes I do wonder how I have a full time job, a side job and a blog. It's easy to wear yourself out so any time you don't feel like doing anything. Embrace it. Or at least pick the easiest tasks. We deserve to be kind to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...