Thursday, April 26, 2012

Ginger Kiss-off

"If I'd known you were coming I would have baked something."

Sound familiar? Random Recipes for April has a baking theme - and I thought it would be just a matter of pulling out a recipe book, letting the pages fall open at a certain spot and getting on with it. But then, I didn't count on my random recipe being the Ginger Kisses from the Edmonds' Classics Cookbook.


Now, I have always had a soft spot for bought ginger kisses - the sort that come in packs of six at the supermarket - and I made some really good ones a few years ago while staying with my in-laws. I must have used some secret West Coast recipe though, because the Edmonds' ones just weren't the same. I made them on a Sunday afternoon just before our neighbours came over for a drink (otherwise known as, 'let's get our children to entertain each other in those shouty hours between 4 and 6pm while we relax with a glass of wine').

Everyone else seemed to enjoy them - well, our neighbours were probably being polite, but the BW thought they were fine - but I thought they were a bit dry. Afterwards, while pondering where I went wrong, I suddenly remembered the ones I'd made so long ago were actually an Alison Holst recipe, which you can find here.


While I don't think the Edmonds' recipe is worth sharing, at least not until I've made it better, I must tell you about the filling I invented to replace the mock cream (ick). This would work well in anything needing a squidge of cream. Just whip about 200ml of cream to soft peaks, then fold through 1/3 cup good marmalade (and perhaps a little whisky, if you feel so inclined). Dollop between ginger kisses, layers of sponge or sit back and eat with a spoon.

What's your go-to 'people have turned up unexpectedly' baking treat? I recommend this one.

Random Recipes #15 - April Pin It

14 comments:

  1. Well, they look delicious and I like the sound of the filling a lot (I think I could be persuaded to take a drop of the whisky in it). Plenty of books and TV progs have suggestions for cakes for people who turn up unexpectedly. This worries me because hardly anyone ever turns up here demanding cake - I think I'm missing out on a subculture. Mind you, the last person that turned up demanding cake was sent down the local patisserie to buy some. That probably explains everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look gorgeous...shame you weren't happy with the results.

    My go-to recipe would probably be whipping up a quick Madeira or sponge cake in the spring/sumer with cream and fruit or a crumble in the autumn/winter.

    I must do my Belleau challenge soon the cake tins empty...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they look incredible but only you as the chef really know the truth! I've never hear of ginger kisses but they do look like they'd be a joy to eat. Is the biscuit soft? My go to bake has always been scones. Super fast and dead easy... and always such crowd pleasers! Thanks so much for taking part honey x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well the look delish, even if you weren't happy with the results! I absolutely LOVE ginger kisses - except for the horrible mock cream! Your substitution sounds much better :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, they look yummy! Ginger kisses were always my favourite biscuity cake and I haven't had them for years. Might have to dust off that Alison Holst recipe... and I'll be adding the whiskey, no question!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ginger kisses are my fav too! Sooo hard to find that illusive recipe! These look gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the link!! And the reminder to use that recipe! I'd changed to my convertible muffins, but I need a change again, so I'm going back to the slice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never heard of ginger kisses, but I love most things with ginger in them so will have to give these a go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow the marmalade cream sounds fabulous! Even if they were a bit dry, these look great! I might have to give the Alison Holst ones a go! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could turn up unexpectadly and demand cake, what a wonderful world it would be. These look delicious and the filling sounds wonderful. GG

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look like perfect little two bite knoshes! I bet that creamy filling just oozes out the edges and is slurpy good when you have to lick your fingers! These are my kinda cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They certainly look good. Not something I've ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made ginger kisses on the weekend and sandwiched them with cream/ginger and icing sugar. Second time and assured again of their deliciousness. Can not attest as am gluten free, though did mean am justified in sharing the cream filling with the two children.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made ginger kisses on the weekend and sandwiched them with cream/ginger and icing sugar. Second time and assured again of their deliciousness. Can not attest as am gluten free, though did mean am justified in sharing the cream filling with the two children.

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...