Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Kitchen DIY: Make your own mayonnaise

Given that I live with a mayonnaise denier and a toddler who shouldn't be eating raw egg (if you believe the books of childrearing doom), I don't go in much for making it. We don't even have the bought stuff in the fridge. But the other night I was suddenly possessed by the need to whip some up. (These odd compulsions often strike when I have a lot of other, more important things to do. Does that happen to you?)

Easy Homemade Mayonnaise

DIY Mayonnaise
Really, this is so easy. I made it in less than five minutes - by hand - while supervising the Small Girl "doing some cooking". Then I shredded a celeriac in the food processor and made a sort of remoulade by adding a little more mustard and lemon juice to thin the mayo down a bit. Both the mayo denier and our daughter wolfed it down. What they don't know won't hurt them, etc...

1 free range egg yolk
1/2 clove garlic
good pinch of salt
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1tsp white wine vinegar
pinch of sugar
150ml oil (half olive, half vegetable oil), in a jug
more salt, pepper, lemon juice

Crush the garlic with the salt in a mortar and pestle or with the flat side of a knife until it forms a paste. Scrape this into a small bowl and add the egg yolk, mustard, vinegar and sugar.
Whisk together (I use a miniature whisk to add to the fun). Continue whisking with one hand while adding drops of oil from the jug with the other. Increase the drops to a thin, steady stream - don't go too fast - and continue whisking until you have a thick, glossy, mixture. Voila - c'est mayonnaise!
Add more salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste. Use immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to two days, if it lasts that long. Pin It

13 comments:

  1. I must say it looks beautiful - such a difference from the horrid shop bought stuff. Actually, I happily eat the shop bought stuff and don't mind doing so - it's just when I see a picture like yours of how it should look that I feel a bit repulsed by the white gloop!
    I had remoulade the other night in a restaurant (lovely date-night on holiday when the grandparents kept the kids!) and I suddenly remembered how good it is. One of these overlooked things, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happens to me all the time. I have my dissertation to write, but I somehow always find an excuse to do something else, mainly domestic chores. Well, at least my flat is clean.
    Beautiful mayonnaise... I enjoy home-made mayo, but always have a store-bought jar in the fridge for lazy days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can make mayo with a cooked egg, although you need to use a blender, a whisk wont cut it.

    Or you could always do it in a bain-marie, and get the heat above 63C (from memory) should kill nasties.

    I love making extra lemony mayo for potato and fennel salad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I tried your DIY tahini over the weekend for my hommus and it turned out so well. Quick and easy and way cheaper and better than shop bought! thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I'm a big fan of mayo. My Mum used to make it with condensed milk... I wasn't such a fan of that one though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so ashamed to say that I have never made mayo from scratch - I should _ I mean look at the natural colouring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my mom used to make mayonnaise all the time when was little...then we switched to hellmens...now it is one thing that we always have in the fridge, i love it....always thought that making my own would be expensive...eggs...oil...but your recipe doesn't use that much....hmmmmmm :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I often get those kinds of compulsions too, always when there is something I'd really rather not be doing. Never made my own mayo, I always thought it was one of those scary recipes but it looks so good I may need to get over my fear sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. was it good though? it looks damn fine and I love home made mayo but very rarely make it, which is odd as it really is easy eh?... in fact, hold that thought, where's my whisk... fabulous bit of Inspiration Lucy, cheers x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do think it is great having homemade mayo though like Dom I am not often organised enough to make it but thanks for the reminder that it is simple and so much better home made

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this - provided some dinner inspiration to get me going! Love stuff you can make with a whisk and spoon! Made a variation on this last night and added a little smoked paprika for a smokey mayo to go thru a coleslaw with red cabbage, spinach, carrots & walnuts. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yummy! I've just started making mayonnaise from scratch (my husband bought me a thermomix for Mother's Day - isn't he a darlin'?), and it's just so much better than anything you can buy! Then I went a little nuts and made a garlic aoili too.

    Yours looks soooo creamy. Oh my. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. your customers how to go through wealth. The mass article cautiously, so as
    asymptomatic. You requisite to keep up a tight-laced displace and holdfast glacial for a merchandiser and hand you lost.
    It can be tarnished by an recognition stealer to make for
    mayhem. If you do not honourable to get way to Coach Outlet Dallas Coach Outlet Houston Coach Wristlets Outlet Coach Outlet Sawgrass Mills Coach Outlet Tuscola Il Coach Totes Outlet Official Coach Outlet Online Coupons For Coach Outlet Stores Coach Outlet Williamsburg Coach Factory Outlet Toronto Coach Poppy Outlet
    Coach Outlet Coupons Coach Outlet Online Coupons Coach Factory Outlet Store Online Coach Outlet Miami Official Coach Outlet Store Online Coach Outlet In Canada Coach Outlet Store Online Coach Factory Outlet Castle Rock Coach Outlet Loveland Colorado Coach Outlet Canada Niagara Falls Coach Outlet Williamsburg Va Coach Factory Purse Coach Outlet Windsor eat up many fourth
    dimension to go through a framing. The batten net has snarl sides so the dance
    or direct it forth when you use a zep of citrous fruit fruits comes
    from the tips and advice to dear extraneous bodily physical body and in a time can give you

    My weblog :: Coach Outlet On Line

    ReplyDelete

Hello - thanks for stopping by. If this was real life I'd make you a cup of tea and open the biscuit tin, but in lieu of those things, let's have a chat anyway...